Monday, July 18, 2011

Tourist trappings and buffalo droppings

Running through the maze of my brain is tonight's soundtrack:
Whether it's the rhythm on Lounge (Closing Time) or the riff in Doin' The Cockroach, I will always enjoy this album. And it's playing in the car and running through my head.

So I need to unload myself of blogging burden before heading west. Tomorrow morning, I mount the friendly skies, traveling to sunny San Francisco for a week before the ultimate adventure: Operation EuroDomination begins next Sunday. So let's explore that land of the billboard, that wonderful tourist trap that sends two Senators to Washington like any other blue-blooded state: South Dakota.

All jabs aside, South Dakota does have some very interesting things to see. I was looking forward very much to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and visiting my little sister who is spending her summer behind one of the counters at Wall Drug.

The journey began on a side trip to lovely Sidney, Nebraska. I'd never been to the birthplace of Cabela's, but it's a nice little town with good folks and at least one decent Mexican restaurant. I spent the evening with a dear friend from med school and got up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to take on the panhandle of my fair state. I know I haven't included many of my own photos here because I usually find better ones online. But I have to share my own wondrous experience with Chimney Rock. Mere words cannot describe the majesty:

Ok, so it was 8 in the morning and I shouda known I wouldn't see it. But I had to try. Next time, we'll do  better.

But then I proceeded through Rapid City, South Dakota, and onto Wall to meet up with my little sister so we could drive through the Badlands:
and then head out to lovely Mt. Rushmore (my first sighting, at the young age of 26):

All very cool. Quite the day. And I was tired. I spent a lot of time in the car over a couple days and was ready to chill. So we took the night easy and I explored Wall Drug the next morning:

I'm not much of one for souvenirs, so I managed to pick up a book of Kakuro number puzzles...because that's just who I am. Don't judge.

Well, I went all of 4 days before returning to lovely South Dakota. My grandparents have a nice little trailer in Yankton and it was high time a visit was in order. We took the trek up on perhaps the hottest day of the year, the heat index hitting 116, according to one of the locals. It was hot. I stayed inside and watched team USA put up a valiant effort and fall just short in the Women's World Cup. Congrats to the Japanese and American sides for a great match and all their accomplishments.

And then we went to Gavins Point Dam to check out the Missouri River raging like a disgraced athlete getting called out on his steroid habit:

I must say that I want to challenge someone to come up with something interesting that matches flooding with a name for the end times. Everything else gets this distinction (remember Snowmageddon?) but the devastation we've been living with for months has yet to get something of note (Floodpacalyse...Floodmageddon...something...). Damn liberal media.

That is the South Dakota ramblings. Tomorrow begins a new chapter, one with a west coast bent. Wine country, dear old friends, and plenty of time at the Jack London Lodge. This is shaping up...

No comments:

Post a Comment